Started having interdose withdrawals with 2 mg of Ativan divided dose. --dr switched me to 1 mg of klonopin (clonazepam) divided dose. Does this make sense?

Yes. Ativan 2mg is the maximum dose that can be safely given at any one time, so this places patients at greater risk of uncomfortable withdrawl symptoms until the next dose is administered. Furthermore, Klonopin (clonazepam) is easier to manage and tolerate than Ativan because it has a longer half life, or a longer time that its chemicals remain effective in the human body.
Yes. both drugs are in the same family but metabolize at different rates. ativan and xanax (alprazolam) have shortl action time 3-4 hrs ascompared to klonipin at 8-12hrs or librium/valium 22-27 hrs. this family ofmedications shopuld be for short term use 4-6 mos as other anxiety medications are safer and effective for long term use. the non drug therapy is as important. what to do when you get anxious? prevention!