HI. I am experiencing a herpes outbreak - 1st one in 2 yrs. I work weird hours and probably will not be able to order & pickup a prescription until tomorrow, which will be over 48 hours since initial symptoms, which wouldn't make it very effective. I do h

Dr. Peter Baumann

In brief: Online consult

Healthtap doctors are available 24/7 to potentially write a prescription.

In brief: Online consult

Dr. Peter Baumann
Dr. Peter Baumann
Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Probably too late

Sorry to hear about your outbreak.
You don't say whether it's oral or genital, but that probably doesn't matter. Unfortunately, you are correct that it's pretty much useless to start anti-herpes treatment more than 2 days after start of an outbreak. unless it is unusually severe, e.g. if new blisters/sores are continuing to appear. At ths point, just keep the area clean and dry.

In brief: Probably too late

Sorry to hear about your outbreak.
Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: You know the answer

Effective treatment is 2 grams of valacyclovir AT PRODROME when you are aware of the first tingling warning of impending attack.
After 2 days it does not matter what you do. The pills can be very effective, so people learn to always have at least 2 pills handy at all times. Topical creams are so ineffective they are not worth talking about. There are many rediculous claims for nonsense treatments

In brief: You know the answer

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan