I have 3 swollen lymph nodes. Two in my neck and one under my chin. Have had one for several years. Other two are a couple years old. Possible cancer?

Dr. Anuj Sonawala
Pathology

In brief: Follow up

Benign lymph nodes tend to be mobile and less than 1 cm in size.
Malignant lymph nodes tend to be greater than 1cm and are usually more firm and fixed. Are you having any associated night sweats, fatigue/lethargy? I recommended you get them examined by an ENT. They may watch and wait, order head/Neck CT scan, or even order FNA/biopsy of the largest lymph nodes with pathology evaluation. Follow up.

In brief: Follow up

Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Not cancer

The presence of a newly defined lymph node that is firm and probably larger than 1 cm. has to be observed for possible malignancy.
The observation process depends on noting within a period of time, say 1-2 months that the node is getting larger, firmer and increasing in number. This then suggests bx. For 3 nodes to be present for an extended period and not progress indicates a benign situation.

In brief: Not cancer

Pathology

In brief: That's normal

The average young person your age, based on my examining healthy medical students over decades, has 2-4 palpable lymph nodes in the neck.
If they're stable, and not preposterously enlarged, don't give them another thought and be thankful for good health -- they're your friends, protecting you. Best wishes.

In brief: That's normal

Dr. William Forsythe