I have a small blackish mole with a red/brown ring around it. I am very worried and I am hoping its not cancer. If it is cancer is it in early stages?

Dr. Lewis Hassell
Pathology

In brief: Pigmented lesion

Melanoma can occur at a young age, so having an odd looking, multicolored, or irregularly pigmented lesion seen and removed is worthwhile.
Only good pathologic exam of the removed specimen can determine reliably how deep (advanced) it is if it is malignant. Don't delay having it seen by someone who can help.

In brief: Pigmented lesion

Dr. Lewis Hassell
Dr. Lewis Hassell
Pathology

In brief: Why do you ask?

Even though you're only 16, if you feel you have to ask us, you need to have it seen by your personal physician.
Get on the phone and make an appointment. I'm glad you're health- aware. Best wishes.

In brief: Why do you ask?

Dr. Magdy Shaaban
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Mole

see dermatologist

In brief: Mole

see dermatologist
Dr. Magdy Shaaban
Dr. Magdy Shaaban
Dr. Anuj Sonawala
Pathology

In brief: Dermatologist

Most moles/nevi are benign in younger people.
Nevi in younger adults/adolescents tend to be more benign (congenital or spitz Nevis). If the mole is in a sun exposed region and is A (asymmetric), B (has irregular borders), C (changes color over time) and D (is greater than 1 cm), than it is more worrisome for melanoma. You are young and if you are worried, reassurance from a dermatologist may help.

In brief: Dermatologist

Dr. Anuj Sonawala
Dr. Anuj Sonawala