I am allergic to Septra (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) sulfa antibiotic , would I be allergic to zinc sulfates as well that's in my vitamins?

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No

There is no cross sensitivity among sulfa, sulfate , and sulfite.
Sulfates are usually very inert.

In brief: No

Sulfates are usually very inert.
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: No worries

The "sulfa" in antibiotics refers to the drugs called sulfonamides, such as suflamethoxazole, one of the drugs in Septra® or Bactrim®.
The sulfur atom in these compounds is not the reason for allergy to them. To my knowledge, simple sulfur salts like sulfides, sulphates, etc don't trigger allergic reactions; and even if they did, I would not expect a cross reaction with sulfa drugs. No worries.

In brief: No worries

Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Andrea Brand