How do you completely cure gastritis? My doctor is having me take nexium (esomeprazole) but I am in debilitating pain every time I eat or even drink water. He said I have an abundance of stomach acid. What do I do?

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Stick with it.

If your pain after eating or drinking is truly due to excess stomach acid, the Nexium (esomeprazole) should begin getting it under control within a few days.
If you are not starting to get any relief within a week, you should return to your doctor for further workup and treatment. In that setting, you may benefit from an endoscopy or other tests for diagnostic purposes. Good luck.

In brief: Stick with it.

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Dr. Andrew Seibert
2 comments
Dr. Andrew Seibert
While waiting for relief from the Nexium, it's fine to add liquid or chewable antacids such as Mylanta or Tums as needed when the pain is severe.
Dr. John Chiu
I am concerned about an esophageal stricture since people with gastritis alone should not experience pain from drinking water.
Dr. Michael Ahearn

In brief: Dyspepsia

General measures will help your gastritis .
Do not eat past 7 pm, alkaline diet, reduce consumption of process foods. get an endoscopy to rule out infection or inflammation ; drink water. try elimination diet program reduce stress though meditation relaxation good luck

In brief: Dyspepsia

Dr. Michael Ahearn
Dr. Michael Ahearn
Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: See GI doctor

When your problem is not controlled by the usual measures, you need to consult a GI specialist who will likely take a look at the upper GI tract with a scope .
H pylori infection also needs be ruled out but there is some suggestion of obstruction at the esophagus as well. Do not delay.

In brief: See GI doctor

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Vicken Poochikian