What is the prognosis for Stage 2 Invasive squamous cell carcinoma of the lower third of the vagina without conventional treatment. Patient is 65.

Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Poor prognosis

If left alone or not handled properly the disease will progress thru enlargement and invasion.
The anterior vagina is in close proximity to the urethra, its anterior wall shared with bladder and posterior wall with rectum. Radiation with chemo like mitomycin may dramatically shrink if not resolve tumor. If left to grow, the removal procedure is known as pelvic exenteration.

In brief: Poor prognosis

Pathology

In brief: Fatal if untreated

Please forgive my frankness.
If a person refuses "conventional treatment" (i.e., the stuff that works, in this case surgery) for a stage 2 invasive carcinoma here, she's going to pay for her foolishness with her life. Further, she's going to have a very ugly, very smelly, very unpleasant cancer for months or years, during which time she will be very, very sorry. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

In brief: Fatal if untreated

Please forgive my frankness.
Thanks for the follow-up. I understand she was told she is not a candidate for surgery or radiation. I am glad she has you, and she may wish a second opinion.
Dr. Steven Hebert
Pathology

In brief: Squamous cell

If left untreated this tumor will continue to invade the surrounding structures such as the bladder and rectum making things even worse.
Please seek out treatment. Speak with an oncologist, a surgeon as well as a radiation therapist

In brief: Squamous cell

Dr. Ed Kaplan
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Awful

without al least surgery will likely grow, invade and spread over time.
Will cause bleeding and pain before leading to anything life-shortening.

In brief: Awful

Dr. Jane Van Dis