Is using ketoconazole shampoo the same as is oral? Does it have lots of side effects? Cancer? What if I want kids one day? Any other fungus safe shamp

Dr. Sylvie Stacy
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Shampoo is safer

Ketoconazole shampoo is much safer than taking ketoconazole by mouth.
This is because, when ingested, many of your body systems and organs are exposed to the drug. When you’re using shampoo, only your skin is exposed. Absorption of the drug by the skin is minimal, so there typically are not side effects. The shampoo should not affect your risk of cancer of ability to have children.

In brief: Shampoo is safer

Dr. Sylvie Stacy
Dr. Sylvie Stacy
Exactly. Ketoconazole is underutilized.
Dr. Jerome Litt
Dermatology

In brief: KETOCONAZOLE SHAMPOO

THIS SHAMPOO IS USED FOR TREATING A CONDITION CALLED SEBORRHEIC DERMATITIS.
THIS IS A DANDRUFF CONDITION. IT IS ALSO USED FOR A HARMLESS CONDITION CALLED TINEA VERSICOLOR. IT HAS VERY FEW SIDE EFFECTS.

In brief: KETOCONAZOLE SHAMPOO

Dr. Jerome Litt
Dr. Jerome Litt
Dr. Edward Seegers

In brief: Ketaconazole

Hi MeghanS006 ~ Ketaconazole shampoo is safe and much safer than taking it by mouth, although oral medication for fungus is much more effective.
My own approach is not to give the enteral treatment unless it is mandated in HIV manuals and/OR the infection is severe and and widespread enough and if there is resistance to clotrimasole.The most imprtant s/e of orals being hepatitis. thanks

In brief: Ketaconazole

Dr. Edward Seegers
Dr. Edward Seegers
Dr. Jonathan Jassey