Can you get HIV by giving or getting oral sex??

Pathology

In brief: Probably

It's been demonstrated in non-human primates, but in large epidemiologic studies it's much less risky than other practices in which body fluids are exchanged.
There are anti-HIV substances in saliva and this may be part of the explanation. You can share syphilis, gonorrhea, and herpes doing this stuff. That's enough reason to be careful.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Robert Sterling
Emergency Medicine

In brief: ThisIsYourOralExam

At the 4th International Oral AIDS Conference held in South Africa, the risk of transmission through oral sex was estimated to be approximately 0.
04% per contact. I guess that means you can do it 2,499 times and skip the 2,500th [NOT!]. The best answer is yes, but the chances are much less that from anal (1.4%) or vaginal (.08%) sex (these are rough numbers.But, basically, "yes," so use protection

In brief: ThisIsYourOralExam

Dr. Robert Sterling
Dr. Robert Sterling