Are saline breast implants safer than silicone? I'm debating which to get.

Dr. Andrea Lundell
Radiology

In brief: Saline vs Silicone

Right now, both are considered safe by the FDA.
Know that BOTH saline and implants have an outer silicone shell. Both have similar risk of capsular contracture, infection and scarring. Silicone implants feel more like real breasts. However, when placed behind the pectoralis muscle, it's difficult to tell the difference. In-depth Plastic Surgery consultation is recommended to find out what's best

In brief: Saline vs Silicone

Dr. Andrea Lundell
Dr. Andrea Lundell
Dr. Andrea Lundell
As a radiologist and breast imager, I examine and perform ultrasound on women with implants every day.
Dr. Roy Arnold

In brief: Jury still out

For one thing the incisions are smaller for saline (3cm vs 6) Risk of capsular contracture is 7-8% in both.
Infection about same. My experience is saline feel more natural, in many of my patients one cannot detect implants by inspection or palpation. Ask your surgeon. Thanks for trusting HealthTap!

In brief: Jury still out

Dr. Roy Arnold
Dr. Roy Arnold
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Thus shows even PSs disagree! I prefer Silicone implants....as they to me are more natural feeling not water balloon feel...
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Saline vs Silicone

I tell my patients the choice is ALWAYS theirs.
But in using these types of implants I recommend the silicone as being more natural. But they are more expensive here in USA. I see women under 35 going for saline most likely due to price. Vs women over 35 choosing the silicone for the more natural appearance, plus they are usually after child bearing, married, can afford them.

In brief: Saline vs Silicone

Dr. Darryl Blinski
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Dr. Robert Sterling
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Do Some Googling

According to the Mayo Clinic, silicones are considered a bit more natural or realistic.
The FDA has an arm's length list of potential complications the most feared (after infection) being rupture, which happens in about 5-10% of implants, silicone slightly higher (rough numbers). Mayo says there's no more risk of weirdness with silicone but others say there are. My instinct says (natural) saline.

In brief: Do Some Googling

Dr. Robert Sterling
Dr. Robert Sterling
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Good info but I still prefer silicone...
Dr. Wayne Ingram

In brief: Saline 'rocks"

Saline does not cause problems when it "infiltrates" into the body accidently.
The only major issue if any is a sudden "rupture" of the implants from a blow to the chest such as a auto accident air bag or steering wheel. Saline is easily absorbed by the body as opposed to silicone. Talk to a plastic surgeon about these choices before you place all your "rocks"($$) into the "barrel".

In brief: Saline 'rocks"

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Darryl Blinski
The post response is old info. The newer silicone (Gummy Bear) are cohesive gel - that is they stick only to itself not to tissue....
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery