Are saline breast implants safer than silicone? I'm debating which to get.

Dr. Roy Arnold

In brief: Jury still out

For one thing the incisions are smaller for saline (3cm vs 6) Risk of capsular contracture is 7-8% in both.
Infection about same. My experience is saline feel more natural, in many of my patients one cannot detect implants by inspection or palpation. Ask your surgeon. Thanks for trusting HealthTap!

In brief: Jury still out

Dr. Darryl Blinski
Thus shows even PSs disagree! I prefer Silicone implants....as they to me are more natural feeling not water balloon feel...
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Saline vs Silicone

I tell my patients the choice is ALWAYS theirs.
But in using these types of implants I recommend the silicone as being more natural. But they are more expensive here in USA. I see women under 35 going for saline most likely due to price. Vs women over 35 choosing the silicone for the more natural appearance, plus they are usually after child bearing, married, can afford them.

In brief: Saline vs Silicone

Dr. Wayne Ingram

In brief: Saline 'rocks"

Saline does not cause problems when it "infiltrates" into the body accidently.
The only major issue if any is a sudden "rupture" of the implants from a blow to the chest such as a auto accident air bag or steering wheel. Saline is easily absorbed by the body as opposed to silicone. Talk to a plastic surgeon about these choices before you place all your "rocks"($$) into the "barrel".

In brief: Saline 'rocks"

Dr. Darryl Blinski
The post response is old info. The newer silicone (Gummy Bear) are cohesive gel - that is they stick only to itself not to tissue....
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham