What can be done at home to reduce crying spells and depression? I really dpnt want to see a doctor.

Dr. Atul Singh
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Why not

There are many things that can help and may not be all medications.
It is ok to seek help! Take care and best of luck.

In brief: Why not

Dr. Atul Singh
Dr. Atul Singh
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Therapy?

Have you yet tried any form of psychotherapy? Typically, the optimal combination of things to treat emotional issues such as depression is medication (which, on your best day, is supposed to take the edge off symptoms) but the real gruntwork takes place in psychotherapist's consulting room.

In brief: Therapy?

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Donald Gieck
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Depression

If depression is so great it negatively impacts daily function, a formal eval is recommended.
This is particularly the case if experiencing thoughts of self harm or suicide- the most effective treatments are those available through your doctor or mental health professional. I am available for a consult if you would like to discuss options further. Self help resources are in additional comments.

In brief: Depression

Dr. Donald Gieck
Dr. Donald Gieck
Dr. Donald Gieck
Books: David Burns' "feeling good handbook", Joseph Luciani's "self coaching for depression and anxiety" Activities: meditation, yoga, exercise, good sleep, avoid alcohol drugs, find hobbies, good social support Links:http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/basics/lifestyle-home-remedies/con-20032977
Dr. Eric Weisman