I had the flu for a month and have started to stop coughing but my back and under my chest is so sore and if I cough or lay that side it hurts so much...?

Chest X-ray . sometimes rare but happens one can develop a rib fracture from bad cough. Alternatively there could be a pleural based pathology. A chest X-ray is a good place to start and would seek input from your primary care doc. Best of luck, feel better. .
Musculoskletal pain. Take advil or aleve (naproxen) and otc cough suppressant . Your pharmacist can help you to choose one.