I missed my period for 34 days.I did pregnancy test four times & results showed negative.I am 48 yrs old, sexually active. Am i pregnant or menopaused?

Dr. Peter Baumann

In brief: Perimenopause

A 48 y/o woman who misses her period for 34 days with negative pregnancy tests in all likelihood is approaching menopause.
She may want to be prepared for an extended menstrual period 2 - 3 weeks next time she comes on her period. It may be prudent to consult with a gynecologist to discuss if hormonal medication may help to regulate cycles.

In brief: Perimenopause

Dr. Peter Baumann
Dr. Peter Baumann
Dr. Tanya Russo

In brief: Perimenopause

The most common reason for this in the 40's would be perimenopause.
During this phase, menses becomes irregular as the ovaries become less functional. Complete menopause usually occurs in a few years, indicated by absence of menses for a year and usually accompanied by the other symptoms of menopause (hot flashes, etc.). Other medical conditions could also be causing this so talk to your doctor

In brief: Perimenopause

Dr. Tanya Russo
Dr. Tanya Russo
Dr. Charles Whiting

In brief: Perimenopause

As you approach actual menopause, you can have months where you don't ovulate and don't have a period at the regular time.
You can also still get pregnant but since your test was negative, this is less likely. Best wishes!

In brief: Perimenopause

Dr. Charles Whiting
Dr. Charles Whiting
Agree with Dr.Whiting. However, it would be prudent to use contraceptive all the time, every time, as pregnancy can occur at your age.
Dr. Frank Kuitems

In brief: Possibly

Oh for information only at age 48 missing.
Can be pregnancy your menopausal recommend checking pregnancy test on him once a week to your next.menses

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Frank Kuitems
Dr. Frank Kuitems
Dr. Jane Van Dis