We just found out our water well is infected with e coli. I am 23 weeks pregnant with a baby girl that has multiple issues, cystic hygrom, choroid plexus cyst, bilater club feet, heart defect. Is this related?

Dr. Maxwell Dartey

In brief: E Coli and pregnancy

Such a direct relation cannot be made.
Sorry about your high risk pregnancy. Good luck.

In brief: E Coli and pregnancy

Such a direct relation cannot be made.
Dr. Maxwell Dartey
Dr. Maxwell Dartey
Pathology

In brief: No

E coli is everywhere.
It's simply a marker for some fecal contamination. Every non-human animal in all of creation regularly drinks fecal-contaminated water and they seem none the worse for it. I'm sorry about the problems that your unborn child faces, but the problem with your well has nothing to do with it. I wish you strength and discernment in the months ahead.

In brief: No

E coli is everywhere.
By the way, congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm wondering whether she may have Turner's XO syndrome; I have two physician colleagues who have this and while they're short (and I think one had a congenital heart problem that was easily fixed), both seem quite happy.
Dr. Jane Van Dis