Liver metastses from crc. Bilirubin rising . Now at 85. Other LFT"s normal . Will this now damage the liver / fail the liver ?

Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Liver metastasis

This is really a question for the oncologists and GI doctors, but liver metastasis and system wide cancer like this is a terminal diagnosis.
With rising biliruben, the cancer has almost certainly obstructed the drainage architecture. The next step will be rising AST, ALT and GGT and yes ultimately liver failure. There may be ascites (fluid in the peritoneum)as well. I'm very very sorry.

In brief: Liver metastasis

Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Liver metastases

It is the other way around.
The liver metastases are partially obstructing the bile ducts, resulting in elevated bilirubin. . The bilirubin itself will not damage the liver. Your oncologist can keep track of this through blood tests, if necessary. Best wishes.

In brief: Liver metastases

It is the other way around.
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Dr. William Forsythe