Been told I have a lipoma in my sternal notch. It's currently only about 1cm, but has tripled in size within about 6 weeks. Should I push for biopsy?

In brief: Maybe

My rule of thumb for soft tissue masses is if they are bothering you or enlarging, that's a good enough reason to remove them.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Mark Dickson
Dr. Mark Dickson
Dr. Lewis Hassell
Pathology

In brief: Tumor growth

The time frame for enlargement is not very likely with a benign fatty tumor, but more consistent with the accumulation of fluid in a cyst, or some other growth.
Depending on the depth of origin, it could be just trivial, or possibly something serious. Perhaps you might consider getting an Ultrasound, or possibly a needle aspiration biopsy to guide the next steps.

In brief: Tumor growth

Dr. Lewis Hassell
Dr. Lewis Hassell
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery