How often do I need my cholesterol checked?

Dr. David Lipkin

In brief: It depends:

If you at increased risk of coronary artery disease possibly every 5 years or less.
If not at risk: perhaps every 10 years. *For risk factors see comments box below. Inflammation in the arteries is a key contributor to developing coronary heart disease. There is little evidence that treating elevated cholesterol with medication is beneficial if you have no history of heart disease.

In brief: It depends:

Dr. David Lipkin
Dr. David Lipkin
Dr. David Lipkin
Risk factors for coronary heart disease, the more factors the higher the risk:Age: male ≥45, female ≥55 or premature menopause without estrogen replacement therapy;Family history of premature coronary heart disease: definite myocardial infarction or sudden death before age 55 years in male first-degree relative and before age 65 in female first-degree relative Current cigarette smoking; high BP
Dr. Nathan Ritter
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Depends

If u are on medication for cholesterol, it should be checked a minimum of once a year. If not on meds, and level is normal, check once every 5 yrs.
If not on meds, but you have a high LDL (for example 160 or more), check once a year. Check out my website CardioGauge.com for heart health education. Best wishes!

In brief: Depends

Dr. Nathan Ritter
Dr. Nathan Ritter
Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: Checking cholesterol

Could be annually if your numbers are fine without medication, up to every three months if you're on medication or if your numbers are persistently bad or if you have other active medical conditions that can confer multiplicative medical risk upon you along with the high cholesterol, such as diabetes or high blood pressure.

In brief: Checking cholesterol

Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Vahe Yetimyan
General Practice

In brief: Every 1-2 years.

It depends on what your risk factors are, what your cholesterol is, and what medicine you are on.
Once every year or two years would suffice.

In brief: Every 1-2 years.

Dr. Vahe Yetimyan
Dr. Vahe Yetimyan
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine