How long does breakthrough bleeding last while taking birthcontrol pills and phentermine?

Unknown. There is some evidence that the use of both phentermine, especially phentermine in combination with topiramate, can interact with oral contraceptive pills. The side effect you describe, breakthrough bleeding, has been reported. I think it could last for many cycles based on reports. The big question is whether or not it reduces contraceptive effectiveness. I would use a back up contraceptive.
Unpredictable. BTB may last from few days to few weeks. If it doesn't subside consult your GYN.