Can anyone tell me how imitrex (sumatriptan) works? I was just prescribed this by my doctor

Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Blocks release

Imitrex (sumatriptan) blocks the release of inflammatory chemicals from the area that triggers migraine symptoms.
It is helpful to add Ibuprofen or Naprosyn when taking Imitrex (sumatriptan) for added protection for the headache.

In brief: Blocks release

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Once again, great info for patients and docs alike! Thanks.
Dr. Bahman Omrani
Pain Management

In brief: Triptans

including imitrex (sumatriptan) are antimigraine medications that acts on specific brain cells and blood vessels to modulate migraine associated pain pathway associated.
They are also used in cluster headache. Triptans are effective for acute treatment of migraine and tend to work best if used asap. They should be avoided in certain types of migraines & cardiovascular conditions. Various formulations available.

In brief: Triptans

Dr. Bahman Omrani
Dr. Bahman Omrani
Dr. Eric Weisman