I had an appendectomy and under final diagnosis it says acute appendicitis and periappendicitis. What is periappendicitis?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

In brief: Around appendix

The prefix peri- means around.
Periappendicitis means that there was inflammation and/or infection in the tissues surrounding the appendix.

In brief: Around appendix

The prefix peri- means around.
Dr. Kathy Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson
Dr. Anne Missavage
In early appendicitis, when the appendix does not look so bad the appendix is red, but not very swollen, the path report says "appendicitis". If the path report also says "periappendicitis", the infection involves the appendix and the surrounding tissues. The appendix feels swollen and stiff, and is obviously abnormal. If is says "gangrene", the surgeon will have noticed the dead tissue.

In brief: Appendix path report

Periappendicitis is the infection spreading through the appendix into the surrounding tissues.
I would expect that you felt much better after the appendectomy!

In brief: Appendix path report

Dr. Anne Missavage
Dr. Anne Missavage
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery