What causes irregular menstruation?

Many causes. Not ovulating during every cycle can cause irregular periods. This is is common in teens as their systems mature, but may also occur in adults. Excessive exercise, stress & eating disorders can also throw periods off, as well as polycystic ovarian syndrome, ovarian or adrenal tumors, thyroid dysfunction, or too much prolactin. Spotting between periods is commonly caused by infection.
Irregular Menses. Irregular menstruation is usually because of irregular ovulation. Your doctor would ask more questions to see what your bleeding pattern really is. If your problem is irregular ovulation (often called pco), then we could give you meds to cause ovulation, which would cause regula r bleeding and make you fertile. We could give you meds like bcp to cause regular menses and contraception. Best wishes.