I have osteopenia taking calcium citrate vit d I have read that calcium supplements can cause hardening of arteries is it true?

Pathology

In brief: Just not so

The claim that calcium supplements promote atherosclerosis was just made up.
Atherosclerosis lesions may calcify; that is where any connection ends. You deserve better than to be troubled with internet scare stuff. If you are actually osteopenic at your age, the situation is very serious and I would urge you to continue educating yourself with reliable information. Your doctor is your guide.

In brief: Just not so

Dr. Bernard Seif
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Calcium alone can

go to the arteries and stiffen them. When co-factors such as Vitamin D, K, etc.
are added it is guided to the bones where it belongs. Because of this, a lesser amount of calcium is needed in the supplement product. Peace and good health.

In brief: Calcium alone can

Dr. Bernard Seif
Dr. Bernard Seif
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology