The left outside part of my shin/calf has been bothering me lately. Don't recall anything that injured it. Hurts most when crossing my leg. What could this be?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Possibly sciatica

There are a number of potential causes and I would not hesitate to be seen.
One of the more common causes is a sciatica, which is an irritation of a nerve in the back that can cause pain that runs down the thigh and leg.

In brief: Possibly sciatica

Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Donald Colantino

In brief: Dysesthesia

This discomfort unaccompanied by redness or history of injury,May be due to an irritability/inflammation of the superficial nerves in that part of the leg or nerve entrapment of a nerve or nerve root causing referred pain at the side of that lower leg.
Phlebitis of a calf vein appears less likely. If symptoms persist,see your physician for evaluation and advice. ? referral to a neurologist,also.

In brief: Dysesthesia

Dr. Donald Colantino
Dr. Donald Colantino
Dr. Vicken Poochikian