I have rls. Does magnesium help and what foods have it? If mag doesn't help what will. Keeps me up at night. Restless legs suck

Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Mag for leg cramps

Magnesium is helpful for nocturnal leg cramps but not typical rls.
Rls symptoms are an urge to move or discomfort in the legs at night. Movement improves symptoms and inactivity makes them worse. B12/folate can help and iron if person is iron deficient. Caffeine and other stimulants can make it work, even if used many hours beforehand.

In brief: Mag for leg cramps

Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. R Sangal
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Mg does not help

Magnesium is not known to help restless legs syndrome.
Restless legs syndrome is defined as having all three of: (1) uncomfortable sensation in legs with irreristible urge to move the legs, (2) worse at night or near bedtime, (3) short-term relief upon moving the legs. Low iron stores can cause it, and iron supplements may help in that case. There are several effective medicines for it.

In brief: Mg does not help

Dr. R Sangal
Dr. R Sangal