I'm considering egg donation. What is your insight on the aftermath of the procedure? I've done some research and it sounds painful and risky.

Dr. Anne Phelan-adams

In brief: Complications occur

It's true that harvesting eggs for donation can be "painful and risky.
" Complications occur in 1-2 women out of 100 who undergo the procedure. The process of preparing your body also is time-consuming and involves some health risks. I suggest you review Stanford University's web site on The Egg Donor Information Project which is an overview of the entire process, including the financial aspects.

In brief: Complications occur

Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
2 comments
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Pay close attention to what happens if you have a complication. They may not included treatment for that Also, talk to your insurance carriers, including disability insurance, and make sure you will be covered for any complications. Remember, too, if you have a permanent complication, you may not be eligible for insurance in the future. The donation of organs, inc. eggs. You donate, docs paid!
Dr. Susan Rhoads
I think organ donation takes advantage of good-hearted people. There aren't enough safeguards for problems. Also, if docs get paid no matter how it turns out, why should the donor not get paid? Or, at least, be guaranteed not to suffer for their altruism if something goes wrong. A good feeling will not make up for a permanent complication. I did not think it was so bad so til I read details.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham