I have always had really dry skin. Why does my skin become really soft after I start tanning on the tanning bed? Usually after a week my skin is so soft, not dry and flaky.

Dr. Norman Levine
Dermatology

In brief: Tanning beds

The tanning bed is injuring your skin.
I strongly suggest that you not use these devices. They will age your skin and could make you more prone to skin cancer, including potentially deadly melanoma.

In brief: Tanning beds

The tanning bed is injuring your skin.
Dr. Donald Colantino

In brief: Surprising

It is surprising that tanning softens your skin instead of drying it out more.
As you know the medical profession doesn't approve of the use of tanning beds. To improve dry skin,avoid such tanning and Sun exposure; apply moisturizers like alphakeri after bathing while your skin is still moist.

In brief: Surprising