I have been diagnosed with chlamydia and I believe I caught it within three weeks of infection. How would I know if I have pelvic inflammatory disease? Would it have been tested for in the STI test?

In brief: Matter of intensity

PID is a term applied to a variety of infections that produce an intensity of symptoms that is hard to ignore.
It is usually suspected when someone has lower abdominal pain, extra bleeding and or discharge and fever. A physical exam will confirm the suspicion when movement of the cervix causes intense pain. While you can have chlamydia with few if any symptoms, that would not get the PID label.

In brief: Matter of intensity

Dr. Jane Van Dis