Can you use temporary fillings on a hole in your molar? Can't get into my dentist for two weeks.

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Won't help

The bacteria infecting your tooth are anaerobic, and therefore don't need oxygen to survive.
Covering them over with a temporary material will not decrease their activity. You have an infection, make the time to get it treated as soon as possible.

In brief: Won't help

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Of course

You can cover the hole in your molar by putting a temporary filling material from any pharmacy.
This is a temporary solution, make sure you get an appointment to see your dentist as soon as possible.

In brief: Of course

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin

In brief: You can try OTC temp

There are pretty decent temp filling kits at the pharmacy in the dental section.
I would call the office back and ask if you can get in just for a temp filling though...it'll probly hold up better to chewing and only takes 10 mins. to place.

In brief: You can try OTC temp

Dr. Stephen Calendine
Dr. Stephen Calendine

In brief: You can

The temp will prevent food from getting in, but will not stop the decay process.
Check your local pharmacy for it.

In brief: You can

Check your local pharmacy for it.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dentistry

In brief: You Certainly Can

If you're getting food and debris stuck in the hole, or it hurts, then clean it out the best you can and try to place an over-the-counter temporary filling in there.
But, that's not easy to do. If you're not having any pain, and you can keep it clean, and you're seeing a dentist in a couple of weeks, you probably can get by without a temporary filling. Judgement call (like so many things).

In brief: You Certainly Can

Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Can? should?

There are pharmacies that sell these types of emergency treatments for patients and you can certainly try this.
However, I have seen patients cause more problems for themselves sometimes when they try. I would suggest that you are better off making a sooner appointment with your dentist, or finding another one if he/she cannot accommodate you with a more timely appointment.

In brief: Can? should?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Justin Nelson
Dentistry - Pediatric

Yes you can use temp filling material on a hole in your molar. You can have your dentist do this (or the permanent filling) or grab some temp material form your local drug store.
No worries

No worries
Dr. Justin Nelson
Dr. Justin Nelson
Dr. Keegan Duchicela