Can SIRT be done if 3 liver metastses and 3 peritineal nodules ?

Dr. Michael Ginsburg
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Need more info

Selective internal radiation therapy (SIRT) or radioembolization, has proven to be effective in terms of extending time to progression of disease and providing survival benefit in treatment of liver colorectal metastases.
Patients who have failed systemic chemotherapy appear to benefit from this therapy. Concurrent use of Y-90 in first & second line chemotherapy is currently being investigated.

In brief: Need more info

Dr. Michael Ginsburg
Dr. Michael Ginsburg
2 comments
Dr. Michael Ginsburg
Radioembolization is not recommended in patients with extensive extra-hepatic disease. Similarly, patients with poor performance status who are confined to bed or chair 50% or more of waking hours, are not suitable for Y-90 therapy. However, for chemorefractory patients with liver-only or liver-predominant disease and in patients who do not wish to have systemic chemotherapy, SIRT is recommended.
Dr. Edward Seegers
Thank you Dr Ginsberg that confirms my assumption. The problem is we dont know what the primary source is and I would imagine that very drastically influence the approach to justifying very aggressive treatment. thanks
Dr. Edward Seegers

In brief: SIRT?

Hi Kanabar, this depends on what the primary cancer is, but lets assume its is secondaries from CRC, then in that case I would imagine the IRs would be very aggressive and would treat those 3 lesions in the liver, The periotonel nodules usually indicate Stage IV disease which is treated with cytotoxics only.
Depends on the primary and how sure they are that this is the true extent of the disease t

In brief: SIRT?

Dr. Edward Seegers
Dr. Edward Seegers
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery