I've been washing my itchy, sore, scalp with dandruff shampoos and dermarest shampoo. My scalp still itches. Why?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

In brief: Doesn't change

the underlying condition.
Most of the causes (allergy, eczema, psoriasis) have inflammation and the over the counter shampoos are not anti-inflammatory. Frankly, the prescription ones are quite weak also. Usually oral medication is required.

In brief: Doesn't change

the underlying condition.
Dr. Matt Wachsman
Dr. Matt Wachsman
Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Dermatology

If it's bothering you that much, and what you have appropriately tried has not worked, consider a dermatology consultation.
They may be able to come up with a diagnosis, and treatment plan. Hope this helps!

In brief: Dermatology

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Eric Weisman