Is strattera (atomoxetine) safer for the body than concerta or retalin? I always feel tens taking methylphenidatum (prescribed though for my add).

Dr. Divyansu Patel

In brief: Depends

Strattera (atomoxetine) is a non stimulant vs Concerta and Ritalin are stimulant medication.
They all have side effect and can be dangerous if not monitored by a physician. Stimulant can increase anxiety vs strattera (atomoxetine) usually does not. However both of them have pros and cons.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Divyansu Patel
Dr. Divyansu Patel
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: It's a draw, in my

Patients. Stimulants can increase anxiety/tics, delay sleep onset, cause headache/stomach-ache, or suppress appetite.
Strattera (atomoxetine) can increase suicidal ideation in depressed children & teens, interact with other meds metabolized by cyt p 450, cause agitation/irritability at higher doses, esp. In kids with autistic disorder or mood disorders & cause sleepiness/stomach-ache. Both require monitoring.

In brief: It's a draw, in my

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke

In brief: Strattera (atomoxetine)

Strattera (atomoxetine) is a fascinating drug.
It was originally developed as an antidepressant for norepinephrine depletion types of depression but marketed for adhd. It is not a stimulant, but works to help the body re-balance the neurotransmitters and generally works well in both ne-depletion depression and in adhd. As it is not a stimulant it is probably much safer and generally does not cause tension.

In brief: Strattera (atomoxetine)

Dr. William Drescher
Dr. William Drescher
Dr. William Drescher
You are welcome. Thanks for asking.
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care