When can I expect my preemie to reach development milestones?

In brief: Quite variable
The number of extra months a preemie needs to reach developmental milestones is quite variable.
Most preemies are only mildly delayed, and will reach milestones a bit later than normal, ranging from 1 month later to 6 months later, depending on how premature the baby was, and on what milestone is being looked at. The doctor will let the parent know if part of the development is worrisome.

In brief: Quite variable
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
In brief: Might be delayed
Each baby reaches the developmental milestones at their own pace.
Preemies can lag behind infants of the same age, but often catch up within the first to second year of life. Every baby's developmental curve is different. Remember, it's not a race. Enjoy each stage as it happens.

In brief: Might be delayed
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Dr. Jane Van Dis