I have anxiety and ADD. I take Zoloft (sertraline) and klonopin for anxiety but it is affecting my concentration. Is it safe to add ritalin to the mix?

Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Not uncommon

It is not uncommon to have a combination of ADHD and anxiety.
Speak to your prescriber about single medications that may treat both conditions, such as Wellbutrin (bupropion) or Imipramine

In brief: Not uncommon

Dr. Patricia Foster

In brief: Probably

It's not uncommon for someone to have an anxiety disorder and ADD/ADHD.
However, medicating both can be tricky. Stimulants like Ritalin (methylphenidate) can worsen anxiety. The diagnosis of ADD should be carefully made. Often psychological tests done by psychologists help to confirm ADD especially in young adults. Adding Ritalin (methylphenidate) is safe, but follow-up MD visits are important. Do not drink alcohol on these meds.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Venkata Vallury

In brief: Add

it is safe to add Ritalin (methylphenidate) if you are having serious problems with concentration.

In brief: Add