My bf and I have HPV and I gave him oral and deepthroat sex. I suspect that I have HPV in my throat and mouth too. What are symptoms of HPV in mouth?

Dr. Minghsun Liu
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Not obvious.

Certain strains of HPV is associated with oropharyngeal cancer but the incidence is fairly low compared to other types of cancer, at least in the US.
The incidence is on the rise however. If you feel there is abnormal lesions in the oropharynx, you should have a through exam. However, most HPV infection are self-limiting and asymptomatic.

In brief: Not obvious.

Dr. Minghsun Liu
Dr. Minghsun Liu
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Oral HPV...

...is a lot less common than genital, but still quite frequent.
Oral sex is probably the main way it is acquired, so there is a good chance you have it orally. But still no worries. Almost all oral HPV infections, including with high risk HPV, cause no symptoms and are cured by the immune system. Throat cancer from HPV16 is rising but still rare; the vast majority of infected people don't get it.

In brief: Oral HPV...

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Andrea Brand

In brief: Oral HPV

Some types of HPV may cause warts in the mouth, others cause no symptoms.
High risk HPV ( type 16) is associated with head and neck cancer, which may appear years after infection with high risk HPV.

In brief: Oral HPV

Dr. Andrea Brand
Dr. Andrea Brand
Dr. Shahruq Sarela

In brief: HPV in mouth

Oral pain, trouble swollowing, redness of the tongue and palate.
Discharge. You may have fevers, swollen lymph nodes as well as the cause. Just get checked by your primary doctor.

In brief: HPV in mouth

Dr. Shahruq Sarela
Dr. Shahruq Sarela
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham