I have severe congestion, sneezing, runny nose, awful dry sometimes yellow mucus cough, my mucus from my nose is clear. I took allegra, did not help at all. I cant decide if its allergies or a sinus infection/cold. Its been 3 days. Should i take mucinex c

Dr. Susan Rhoads

In brief: Infection?

Try a different antihistamine, like Benadryl (diphenhydramine).
If 25-50 mg of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) makes no difference, then it is not likely that your symptoms are due to allergies. There is no good evidence that mucinex is much help and it is expensive and has its own side effects, and I never recommend it. Avoid fragrances and aerosols while sick (add to irritation of respiratory tract). See MD if no better in 2-3 days.

In brief: Infection?

Dr. Susan Rhoads
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Dr. Susan Albow
Integrative Medicine

In brief: Allergies

Seasonal allergies can present with symptoms of congestion, sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes.
Spring time in the north east can be problematic for seasonal allergy sufferers. Upper respiratory infections (the common cold) and sinus infections present differently, usually involve a fever and a general feeling of unwell versus seasonal allergies which cause congestion in otherwise well patients.

In brief: Allergies

Dr. Susan Albow
Dr. Susan Albow
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology