I suffer from lower abdominal cramps on a daily basis. I've been to the ER three times and found I was only constipated. Is this ibs?

Nicole Bressler
Emergency Medicine

In brief: IBS

Ibs can cause different symptoms for different people.
Some feel bloated with pain and/or cramping andexperience constipation while others experience diarrhea, or both. Some experience it daily, while others experience a few times a month. Different foods and even stress can trigger episodes. Make an appointment with your pcp to determine the cause of your cramping and available treatments.

In brief: IBS

Nicole Bressler
Nicole Bressler
Answer assisted by Nicole Bressler, Medical Student
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: No

No this is constipation! if you are over 50 and have never had a colonoscopy, you need one.
If the exam is normal then get on a hi fiber diet, 20-25 grams of fiber per day, drink 80-`1-- ounces of non caffeinated, non alcoholic fluids daily and increase your fluiods if you do strenuous work or excercise. Do not use harsh laxatives.

In brief: No

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Peter Kurzweil