Hi dr, I have green discharge. Viganal swab test results are : scant gram positive cocci and bacilli. Do I have Bacterial infection? Thanks

Dr. Mary David

In brief: Maybe

There are many bacteria that are normal and desirable in the vagina including some gram positive cocci and bacilli.
Without more testing such as a vaginal pH and whiff test and a culture for STDs,it is not possible to say if you have a bacterial infection.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. David Houghton
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Can't say

Those results mean nothing.
Vaginal infections causing discharge are typically sexual or what's called bacterial vaginosis (BV). BV is diagnosed by wet mount looking for 'clue cells'. Sexual infections are gonorrhea and chlamydia (both diagnosed by DNA swab) and trichomonas (diagnosed by wet mount looking for the moving organisms).

In brief: Can't say

Those results mean nothing.
Dr. Rebecca Gliksman

In brief: Green discharge

Seems like an infection and should get antibiotics.
Pain? if you have pain there is concern about PID ( infection in tube) and sometimes we give the first dose of antibiotics intramuscularly or people even get IV antibiotics.If no pain usually more localized to vagina and can get oral antibiotics. I give at least 2 -Flagyl for anaerobes, and doxycycline( if not pregnant) for all other bugs

In brief: Green discharge

Dr. Adam Levy