What can be done for people who have a difficult time upping allergy shot dose due to local reaction?Lower dose? Repeat 1 dose often?Sublingual drops?

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Depends

At least 2 studies showed that lowering the dose due to local reaction actually leads to more reactions.
On the other hand, one must balance the discomfort against the potential gains. I would ask the patient to take an antihistamine about 2 hrs prior to see if this helps. The next question is whether the dose should be raised any further if there has been sufficient improvement.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Marsha Davis