My recent blood tests show positive for hsv type 1 IgG, negative for hsv 2 IgG and hsv1&2 IgM is positive. what does this mean and what should i do?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Have HSV1, no HSV2

You are infected with HSV1, like up to 90% adults in your country.
You don't have HSV2, except maybe if exposed recently; it takes several weeks for the test to become positive. Ignore the IgM result; it's probably just another reflection of your HSV1 infection. In theory, positive IgM means new infection with either virus, but It's notoriously unreliable, rarely done by herpes experts.

In brief: Have HSV1, no HSV2

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
More about HSV IgM testing. False positive results are very frequent. Although in theory it means early infection, IgM antibody often persists indefinitely or reappears with herpes outbreaks. And IgM testing does not accurately distinguish HSV1 from HSV2, so "hsv1&2 positive" means either HSV1 or 2, not both -- so if your result is true at all, probably it's HSV1 only.
Pathology

In brief: Herpes infection

If the results are accurate, as you described, you have had recent infection with both HSV 1 and 2.
It would be prudent to see your doctor to ascertain what sites are infected and if you need to take medication. It would be prudent to advise your sex partners of the infection.

In brief: Herpes infection

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
I doubt recent infection with either virus. See my own reply. Regards-- HHH
Dr. Jane Van Dis