How does the price of having tooth pulled compare with the cost of a root canal/crown?

Wide range/depends. Just taking out the tooth can cost from $75 (?) to several hundred dollars for a surgical extraction. Root canal treatment / crown can cost from $1500 to several thousand dollars.
Price difference . In the short term, having the tooth extracted is less expensive, but in the long term the damage caused by a missing tooth can be many times more expensive.
20x difference. Depending on where you go and who you see, you can spend upwards of 20x the cost of an extraction to restore a broken down tooth with root canal therapy, a post and a crown. Replacing a missing tooth will cost even more, so think twice before extracting a tooth that can be saved.