What's the best soluble fiber ingredient to look for in a fiber supplement? Right now mine uses xylitol, but seeing if there's something more natural.

Dr. David Ziring
Pediatrics - Gastroenterology

In brief: Xylitol

Is a sugar alcohol, or artificial sugar. It's not fiber.
It acts as an osmotic laxative, but has significant side effects of bloating and gas. Look for citrucel or Metamucil.

In brief: Xylitol

Dr. David Ziring
Dr. David Ziring
Dr. Daniel Bates

In brief: Natural Fiber

xylitol is a sugar alcohol used as a non-calorie sweetener and is not a source of fiber.
Look for psyllium seed, that's the mainstay of natural fiber supplements. I personally like flax and chia seeds to add flavor, omega-3s and fiber to protein shakes for meal replacement. Extra fiber is great, but make sure you drink extra water to keep every thing moist!

In brief: Natural Fiber

Dr. Daniel Bates
Dr. Daniel Bates
Dr. Peter Kurzweil