My right arm goes numb at night and frequently keeps me from sleeping. What should I do?

Dr. Praveen Prasad
Neurosurgery
In brief: You need examination
There are so many causes of arm numbness that there is no simple answer. Common causes include carpal tunnel syndrome (pinched nerve at the wrist) and ulnar neuropathy (pinched nerve at the elbow).
Less commonly, it can be pinching of a nerve in the neck, and even more seldom, such conditions as brain tumor, multiple sclerosis, stroke, and other rare diseases. Check with your doctor.

In brief: You need examination
Dr. Praveen Prasad
Dr. Praveen Prasad
Dr. Tung Nguyen
Neurosurgery
In brief: See your doctor
This can be due to arm position while you are sleeping, which is an easy fix.
Alternatively, you may have compression of a peripheral nerve at the wrist or elbow, a disc herniation in your cervical spine, to more unusual causes. Your doctor should be able to start the evaluation and, if necessary, order the appropriate test(s) to make a diagnosis.

In brief: See your doctor
Dr. Tung Nguyen
Dr. Tung Nguyen
Dr. Shaukat Matin
In brief: Go and see your PCP
It could be "pinched nerve" in your neck or could be nerve entrapment in your upper extremity.
You may need to see a neurologist.

In brief: Go and see your PCP
You may need to see a neurologist.
Dr. Shaukat Matin
Dr. Shaukat Matin
Dr. Steven Hill
In brief: Be checked
You may have a problem with your neck or you may have carpal tunnel.
You need to see your doctor and get checked.

In brief: Be checked
Dr. Steven Hill
Dr. Steven Hill
Dr. Eric Weisman