My 11 month old baby is having 6-7 bowel movements per day (pretty much after each meal) he is receiving expressed breast milk. Is this normal?

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Yes-For Him

If he is acting well, growing well and presenting with no fussiness, it really is not a serious problem.Remember that what comes out is what goes in.
If you analyzed the diet and modified it, the pattern would change.But you may not need this.If not broken, does it need fixed?

In brief: Yes-For Him

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: May be ok for him

We generally thing a poo each feed is nl early for bf kids but if older & you have added solids i would expect a slowdown.
Cereals&applesauce generally slow stool transit, fruit juices & some vegies speed it. Some kids just move it all along a bit faster than others & if they are not losing volume(fluids) and growing well, so be it. If ur using lots of juices, cutting back might drop ur numbers.

In brief: May be ok for him

Breast fed infants generally have more frequent bms than formula fed, often after each meal.
I would be concerned only if this is a change for him, or if he is not growing well.

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Jane Van Dis