TTC, 2 months. Doctor says I have not ovulated, has prescribed Clomid (clomiphene) this cycle. Will it wok for me? Why do I get monthly regular periods if not OVul

Dr. Brian Nguyen

In brief: Possibly

Clomid (clomiphene) is a selective estrogen receptor modulator, meaning that it tricks the body into thinking that it does not have enough estrogen and has to secrete more hormones like FSH to stimulate egg production, which will make more estrogen.
By secreting more FSH, you'll be more likely to develop follicles that will ovulate.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. Wayne Ingram

In brief: Estrogen only menses

Periods can come every month without ovulation as only estrogen was secreted during that cycle and not progesterone.
;Progesterone only occurs after ovulation and is produced by the corpus luteum (yellow body) that is the remnant of the egg follicle which was expelled.

In brief: Estrogen only menses

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Jane Van Dis