Epigastric pain, can I take pan 40??

Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: U mean Pantoprazole?

Pantoprazole (generic protonix) is a member of the class of agents known as "proton pump inhibitors" (ppi's).
Others in the class include: Prilosec (omeprazole), Prevacid (lansoprazole), aciphex, nexium, dexilant, (dexlansoprazole) zegerid. All will block acid production in the stomach. Protonix works if your gastritis is peptic (e.g. Acid-mediated) and not related to bile injury, caustic ingestion, infection.

In brief: U mean Pantoprazole?

Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Ghannam Al-dossari
I would highly recommend that you see a gastroenterologist to have a diagnosis of your recurring epigastric pain before being committed to Protonix. Lots of patients seem to take it for epigastric pain without consultation with their physician, which could mask the underlying disease such as peptic ulcer or even GERD or gastric malignancy.
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery