What's the best allergy medicine? Allegra, Claritin (loratadine) or Zyrtec?

Dr. Duane Gels
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Depends, somewhat

Pollen chamber study done yrs ago typical: when pollen blown directly into the faces of allergic patients, both measured symptoms and patient complaints show Zyrtec better, faster; Claritin (loratadine) slower, worse.
Allegra, a close 2nd. But: FDA felt only Zyrtec was effective enough to advertise for animal allergies (remember the barking dog in the ad?). Note: I'm not affiliated with any of these products.

In brief: Depends, somewhat

Dr. Duane Gels
Dr. Duane Gels
Dr. Kristin Sokol

In brief: Same effects

These three medications do the same thing and are not supposed to make you drowsy, however, Zyrtec seems to work somewhat better than Allegra and Claritin.
I would say Claritin is the least effective out of these three medications.

In brief: Same effects

Dr. Kristin Sokol
Dr. Kristin Sokol
Dr. Julian Raffoul
General Practice

In brief: Patient dependent

Allegra (fexofenadine), Claritin (loratadine), and Zyrtec (cetirizine) are all wonderful non-sedating second generation antihistamines that selectively antagonize peripheral histamine H1receptors.
They are good for relieving allergic rhinitis (sneezing, itchy/watery eyes, and itchy nose/throat). I believe patients should choose the best medicine to take by trial-and-error.

In brief: Patient dependent

Dr. Julian Raffoul
Dr. Julian Raffoul
Dr. Luis Matos
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma

In brief: All 3 are good

Claritin 10 mg is only as good as Chlorfeniramine 4 mg the most effective dose is 20 mg for adults but that causes 12-14% of people to become drowsy.
Zyrtec 10mg causes same level of drowsiness but controls skin , eye and nasal itching. Allegra at 180mg does not cause significant drowsiness but is as effective as Zyrtec. Allegra is very safe it has been tested at twice/day for hives.

In brief: All 3 are good

Dr. Luis Matos
Dr. Luis Matos
Dr. Doanh Nguyen, md, faaaai

In brief: Pretty much the same

They are all long acting antihistamine and are pretty much the same.
The onset of acting is a little different with 1-3 hours for Claritin (loratadine) and faster for others. In some individuals, Zyrtec may cause drowsiness while this side effect does not see with the other two.

In brief: Pretty much the same

Dr. Doanh Nguyen, md, faaaai
Dr. Doanh Nguyen, md, faaaai
Dr. Corey Clay

In brief: All of them

Some patients have a preference related to efficacy, but most patients find they are each helpful and often make decisions based on price.
Zyrtec and Allegra are a bit stronger whereas Claritin (loratadine) seems to be active longer. Zyrtec might be slightly more potent with faster onset of effect and it is usually my first suggestion

In brief: All of them

Dr. Corey Clay
Dr. Corey Clay
Dr. Efren Rael

In brief: Allergy medicines

It is often a personal choice based on risks/benefits and indication.
Allegra and Claritin (loratadine) are marketed as non-sedating. The package label for Zyrtec suggests about 10% of people can have sedation with Zyrtec, but in some settings, Zyrtec may have more effect. Price is also a factor. It is not uncommon for antihistamines to lose benefit with time due to a phenomenon called allergy priming.

In brief: Allergy medicines

Dr. Efren Rael
Dr. Efren Rael
Dr. Zachary Veres

In brief: Allergies

Allegra (fexofenadine) or Zyrtec are best with less side effects

In brief: Allergies

Dr. Zachary Veres
Dr. Zachary Veres
Dr. Keegan Duchicela