I was recently taking muscle relaxers for lower back pain, but now I'm feeling upper-mid pain when I cough. Could it be a nerve problem?

Could be disc. If the upper-mid pain you have is in the upper mid back, worse when you move cough, bend or rotate the spine in that area, it may be a disc in the thoracic spine part of your back, a strain or sprained muscle. I'm not sure that it would be typical of a nerve problem (meaning a nerve disease), but we do feel pain because of our nerves, indicated a problem in that area.