I took NyQuil about 5 hours ago but woke up with a persistent cough. I took some hydrocodine cough medicine 5mg. Is that safe?

Dr. Laila Alamgir

In brief: Cough

It is safe to take hydrocodiene if you do not drive or operate heavy machinery because it will make you drowsy.
Opioid/ hydrocodiene is not the first line treatment for persistent cough . you should try OTC guaifenesin/ dextromethorphen around the clock to relief cough. If it doesn't work chest ray, allergy test. emperic antibiotics , medications review smoking cessation are other options

In brief: Cough

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology