What could cause calcium deposits around an unborn child's heart?

Pathology
In brief: ECF
Echogenic cardiac focus? This is what it sounds like.
Nobody knows what they are. From my reading they seem to have no impact on the child's health once born. I have always suspected that what looks like "calcium" on ultrasound is actually tough fibrous tissue.

In brief: ECF
2 comments
You are very welcome. I am glad you are taking a proactive approach to health.
Dr. Hassan Harirah
Echogenic cardiac focus is an ultrasound finding where portion of fetal heart muscle called papillary muscle appears brighter than surrounding muscles. It is not a calcification and it has no significant finding if it was the only finding on ultrasound exam.
Dr. John Botti
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Obtain consultation
Bright areas in certain areas of the heart may be reflections of ultrasound waves from valves.
The most common finding is the echogenic intracardiac focus noted in 1-4% of fetuses, but not associated with heart abnormalities or other disorders. Rarely, "calcium" may be noted in the fetus, and may represent effects of a viral illness. Confer with your maternal fetal medicine md about this.

In brief: Obtain consultation
Dr. John Botti
Dr. John Botti
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
In brief: Heart failure
Endocardial fibroelastosis is a hallmark of heart failure in utero and can be associated with calcium deposition on strained cardiac muscle - it is a very serioud finding that merits pediatric cardiology evaluation and frequently leads to poor outcomes.
Eif on the other hand is a nothing-oma frequently seen on prenatal sonograms that scares couples without any reason.

In brief: Heart failure
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology