Please describe the most effective way to get rid of plantar warts?

Several treatments. You can try over the counter wart removers, but be careful: i've seen them do more harm than good. Other options your doctor might offer include cryotherapy (freezing the wart), electrocautery (burning the wart), laser treatment, or several different topical chemical treatments. If the treatment is typically uncomfortable, your doctor can numb the area before proceeding.
Laser. I find that using a laser to remove warts gives me the best outcome but acid can work just takes longer.
Lots of ways. You can use the liquid nitrogen, liquid nitrous oxide (this is what i like to use), topical acids, dermal scraping. You can also try oral cimetadine (400 mg three times a day for 12-16 weeks). This is very safe and had the side effect of getting rid of warts for many people of adult size and weight (japma november 1, 1995 vol. 85 no. 11 717-718 ). For excisions, I use radiowave surgery.